[GUIDE] Unofficial beginners' guide to Survival!

starboy

BEGINNERS' GUIDE TO SURVIVAL

Hey guys!

Having done multiple guides already, I realised I haven't actually done a guide for beginners on how to actually get started on the server! The following guide is meant for beginners who are new to the server and may not have played the Survival gamemode before. Also, this guide will be specific for TheSplashMC and may not work on other servers.

1585916865904.png

1. How to get started

The first thing you will want to do when you join the server is make yourself familiar with the rules. When you first join, type /rules, and it will bring up a page where the rules are clearly laid out! If you go forward at spawn, you will be able to see a hologram with a command list. This is extremely useful as it contains many commands which you may not be familiar with.

Now type /kit to view your available kits. /kit starter and /kit claimshovel will be your friends!

Next, time to find a place to build your base! The best way to do this is to go to the wild and there are two ways to do this:

1) Find the 'wild portal'

1585872842607.png

OR

2) Type /wild

Once you have done either of the two things above, you will be teleported to a random location in the survival world. Here, you can gather resources and start building!

1585916834368.png

2. How to claim land

If you look at the sidebar on the right hand side of your screen, you will be able to see the number of claims you have available. It's important not to waste these 'remaining claims', as claiming land is extremely valuable as it prevents people from being able to grief your land.

To claim land, you can do any of the following:

1) Place a chest
2) Type /claim
3) Use a golden shovel to claim a piece of land (like you would select a region with WorldEdit)

"What do I do if I want my friend to be able to build in my claim?" I hear you ask. Using the /trust command, you can add people to the claimed piece of land that you're standing on. Alternatively, if you're not standing on your claim, then this command will add the person to all of your claims.

Other useful commands include /abandonclaim and /abandonallclaims which deletes the claim you're standing in, or all of your claims respectively.
View all your claims by typing
/claimlist

Reminder: Once you've claimed land, don't forget to set your home by typing /sethome!

1585916842038.png

3. Buying and selling

The economy on TheSplashMC is mainly controlled by player behaviour. You may have already seen people selling items such as elytras in the chat. One common place where items are sold is in the auction house. To access it, you can type /ah. To sell something in the auction, you can type /ah sell <price> whilst holding the item that you wish to sell.

The in game shop is also extremely vital while playing Survival. To access it you can type /shop. Here, you will notice there is also a donator shop where you can get better selling prices.

You can also access the shop at spawn:

1585872972226.png

Other useful commands with respect to buying and selling include the /balance command (brings up your balance) and the /pay command (which you can use to pay other players)

CHESTSHOPS:
Alternatively, you can also create a chestshop:

1585872728190.png

1585916848953.png

4. MCMMO

MCMMO is an important and exciting aspect of Survival. If you have played Factions before you may be familiar with MCMMO. However, for those of you who may not be familiar with it, I will go over the basics now.

MCMMO adds skills for things you do in Minecraft such as mining. You can level up these skills, and levelling up grants you benefits which can give you a great advantage in the game. Useful commands include:

• /mcstats - This command shows all the possible MCMMO skills, and what your level is in them.
  • /<skillname> - This command displays your level of the specific skill, and also relevant information.
  • /mctop <skillname> - This displays the leaderboard for a specific skill.
  • /party create <name> - This creates a party where you can share MCMMO xp
  • /party invite <username> - Using this command, you can invite someone to your party.
  • /party chat - This command allows you to enable or disable party chat

1585916854275.png

4. Voting

Voting is a great way to get some useful rewards! Using the link https://thesplashmc.net/vote/ , you can vote for the server and receive 1 vote token per vote. Type /vote ingame to see what rewards you can get once you accumulate enough tokens!

Once enough people have voted, there will be a Voteparty. When this happens, you will receive a crate key which you can use at spawn at a crate (pictured below):

1585873750387.png

1585872235532.png
I'll update this guide as and when new things get added to the server. Please reply with anything I should add to this guide. Thank you!

- starboy

Last edited:

Jacobdynomite

Senior Moderator
Jacobdynomite
Jacobdynomite
This is a great guide! You touched on a lot of things I often find myself and others telling new players shortly after they join.

(y)(y)(y)

EDIT: Possibly add a reminder to do /sethome when they claim their land? Also if they have forgotten not to worry as they can do /claimslist to get the coordinates to their claim?

Just a suggestion @starboy :)

Last edited:

starboy

This is a great guide! You touched on a lot of things I often find myself and others telling new players shortly after they join.

(y)(y)(y)

EDIT: Possibly add a reminder to do /sethome when they claim their land? Also if they have forgotten not to worry as they can do /claimslist to get the coordinates to their claim?

Just a suggestion @starboy :)
Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'll add it now!

starboy

**Update** Added a reminder about /sethome and /claimlist

Ivan

BEGINNERS' GUIDE TO SURVIVAL

Hey guys!

Having done multiple guides already, I realised I haven't actually done a guide for beginners on how to actually get started on the server! The following guide is meant for beginners who are new to the server and may not have played the Survival gamemode before. Also, this guide will be specific for TheSplashMC and may not work on other servers.

View attachment 131

1. How to get started

The first thing you will want to do when you join the server is make yourself familiar with the rules. When you first join, type /rules, and it will bring up a page where the rules are clearly laid out! If you go forward at spawn, you will be able to see a hologram with a command list. This is extremely useful as it contains many commands which you may not be familiar with.

Next, time to find a place to build your base! The best way to do this is to go to the wild and there are two ways to do this:

1) Find the 'wild portal'

View attachment 118

OR

2) Type /wild

Once you have done either of the two things above, you will be teleported to a random location in the survival world. Here, you can gather resources and start building!

View attachment 127

2. How to claim land

If you look at the sidebar on the right hand side of your screen, you will be able to see the number of claims you have available. It's important not to waste these 'remaining claims', as claiming land is extremely valuable as it prevents people from being able to grief your land.

To claim land, you can do any of the following:

1) Place a chest
2) Type /claim
3) Use a golden shovel to claim a piece of land (like you would select a region with WorldEdit)

"What do I do if I want my friend to be able to build in my claim?" I hear you ask. Using the /trust command, you can add people to the claimed piece of land that you're standing on. Alternatively, if you're not standing on your claim, then this command will add the person to all of your claims.

Other useful commands include /abandonclaim and /abandonallclaims which deletes the claim you're standing in, or all of your claims respectively.
View all your claims by typing
/claimlist

Reminder: Once you've claimed land, don't forget to set your home by typing /sethome!

View attachment 128

3. Buying and selling

The economy on TheSplashMC is mainly controlled by player behaviour. You may have already seen people selling items such as elytras in the chat. One common place where items are sold is in the auction house. To access it, you can type /ah. To sell something in the auction, you can type /ah sell <price> whilst holding the item that you wish to sell.

The in game shop is also extremely vital while playing Survival. To access it you can type /shop. Here, you will notice there is also a donator shop where you can get better selling prices.

You can also access the shop at spawn:

View attachment 119

Other useful commands with respect to buying and selling include the /balance command (brings up your balance) and the /pay command (which you can use to pay other players)

CHESTSHOPS:
Alternatively, you can also create a chestshop:

View attachment 117

View attachment 129

4. MCMMO

MCMMO is an important and exciting aspect of Survival. If you have played Factions before you may be familiar with MCMMO. However, for those of you who may not be familiar with it, I will go over the basics now.

MCMMO adds skills for things you do in Minecraft such as mining. You can level up these skills, and levelling up grants you benefits which can give you a great advantage in the game. Useful commands include:

• /mcstats - This command shows all the possible MCMMO skills, and what your level is in them.
  • /<skillname> - This command displays your level of the specific skill, and also relevant information.
  • /mctop <skillname> - This displays the leaderboard for a specific skill.
  • /party create <name> - This creates a party where you can share MCMMO xp
  • /party invite <username> - Using this command, you can invite someone to your party.
  • /party chat - This command allows you to enable or disable party chat

View attachment 130

4. Voting

Voting is a great way to get some useful rewards! Using the link https://thesplashmc.net/vote/ , you can vote for the server and receive 1 vote token per vote. Type /vote ingame to see what rewards you can get once you accumulate enough tokens!

Once enough people have voted, there will be a Voteparty. When this happens, you will receive a crate key which you can use at spawn at a crate (pictured below):

View attachment 120

View attachment 116
I'll update this guide as and when new things get added to the server. Please reply with anything I should add to this guide. Thank you!

- starboy
This is a beginners guide after all so it would be a good idea to add /kit to it. Very good guide though!

starboy

This is a beginners guide after all so it would be a good idea to add /kit to it. Very good guide though!
Thanks Ivan! It seems you can't edit the post after a certain stage so I'll check with staff whether it's possible.

Speedblox

Speedblox
Speedblox
Wow, This is very nice!
Post automatically merged:

Wow, This is very nice!

Theo

Theo_L
Theo_L
Starboy might be good to show this to the new players :) put the link in chat or something